Home > Friendship > Roots

Roots

January 11th, 2011 Posted by Leave a comment Go to comments

Have you ever stopped to assess your pastoral sisters and pondered why some of us thrive in the ministry while others flounder?  When someone we’ve known and respected makes choices that are unexpected and devastating, we seek answers.  If for no other reason than to prevent ourselves from taking the same tragic course.  Appearances are deceiving, and as we gain experience and wisdom we learn not to unconditionally accept what appears to be.  Because what appears to be is not the whole story, God looks directly into our heart for the accurate picture.

An illustration on this truth was brought home last summer when a huge wind storm hit Boise.  Boise’s nickname is City of Trees. We have a long love affair with trees and every yard, corner lot, park and sidewalk flaunts wonderful speciments that add beauty to our town.  In a span of four hours last August, a devastating number of our trees were destroyed.  Morning light revealed them lying on the ground, leaning against houses, crushing roofs or cars, and blocking roads.

While the winds had exceeded gusts of eighty miles an hour, we had withstood winds like that and stronger in previous years, so we asked Why had this wind brought down so many trees?

It was discovered that modern irrigation was the culprit.  A practice of watering our lawns regularly had trained the trees to spread out their roots and drink the surface water instead of drilling down to drink from the water table.  The deep nourishment that would have provided roots for stability was not accessed.  And in adversity they toppled.

Keep this lesson in mind this New Year.  We can sit in the pew all polished and pressed, attend conferences smiling brightly, but if we do not have any spiritual depth, we will fall when the storm comes.  Nourish your spiritual roots this year and remain strong.

And if you’ve already been aware of the necessity for this in your life.  Tell us, what do you do to nourish your spiritual roots?

Tags:
  1. January 19th, 2011 at 05:32 | #1

Janice,
    Thank you for transparency and providing real encouragement for pastor’s wives. You are right! There is definitely not much out there! Your website is refreshing!
    I am preparing a devotional for a pastor’s wives tea coming up in a couple of weeks and wanted to find some uplifting thoughts and ideas for these dear women. Your website was a great place to start!
    Kim

2. Jamie
    January 29th, 2011 at 08:20 | #2

I loved the tree analogy, I may use it sometime in my teaching. Thank you very well written.

3. Stephanie
    February 11th, 2011 at 19:23 | #3

I really appreciated the tree story and how you tied that to current day circumstances in appearance. I found your site as I searched for information on becoming a pastors’ wife. My husband received his calling awhile back, we’re younger and I KNOW that this is going to be an good thing but I’m honestly scared in this undertaking. I’ll be a pastor’s wife before I’m 30 and I’m wondering how a congregation will respect his and my thoughts and ideas. More than that though I’m feeling the weight of what this means to be a P.W. and don’t get me wrong I’m terribly excited for what God has in store, but I’m nervous. I know God is in charge of all and He knows what he’s doing I just wish I could see His playbook. :) So as to answer your question as a teen I played the “right looking” kind of Christian had some knowledge and looked all pretty in my seat every single time the doors were open. When the storms of life came I got knocked over and realized I lacked a real, deep, honest relationship with Christ. Now I seek him in my sweats and tee shirts daily no matter how crummy I feel He is my comfort and has healed me from many of life’s trials that swept me away from Him so long ago.

4. KM
    February 12th, 2011 at 17:32 | #4

Pastors’ wives experience unique struggles and challenges that few others can understand, or appreciate. The new book, “The Runaway Pastor’s Wife”, takes a look, with an inside perspective, at one such pastor’s wife and her struggles.

5. February 17th, 2011 at 09:24 | #5

Thank you for the tree analogy! I will be speaking this weekend at a Christian Workers Conference in Rexford, Kansas. (Eek – my first!) But I know my God will provide me with the wisdom & words to reach who HE delivers there.
    Being a pastor’s wife is one of the hardest callings I think there is. Trying to ‘look’ the part & living with honesty & transparency for others to see – well, I’m sure there are plenty of PW out there that have had similiar struggles as me.
    Thank you for your site & insight. I’ve just stumbled onto it…but I’m sure I’ll be bookmarking it…and returning to it often.
    God bless as you stand behind your man…and THE GOD of all.

6. Veronica
    November 4th, 2011 at 09:01 | #6

Boy, did I ever need this today! Thank you!

1. No trackbacks yet.